Winter is hot on our heels – and with this colder weather, many of us begin to switch on our heaters. However, if your home uses gas heaters, you'll need to get them checked and serviced to ensure they're not leaking carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that's odourless, tasteless and scentless. Inhalation of this toxic substance can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, which can result in death.
Whether you're an Oakleigh real estate local or an investor of rental properties in Carnegie, chances are the protection of your home and its occupants is high on your mind. This means it's crucial you get appliances in your properties checked for any potential gas leakages.
Better Health Victoria suggests getting your appliances checked and serviced by a specialist every two years. It's best to do this before the colder weather sets in, as that's the time you'll be using gas appliances the most.
In the time between services, look out for signs of faulty gas appliances. Better Health Victoria states that soot stains around gas heaters, a yellow coloured or sooty flame and a pilot light that goes out or 'pops' when it is turned on are all red flags you should look for.
You might also want to take the time before winter to replace any gas appliances that are quite old, as these could cause problems down the line.
For more information about buying and investing in Carnegie, get in touch with Matt Hurlston and the team at Ray White Carnegie today!