Help fund relief efforts for the Australian Bushfires #beyondthebricks
Support Now

Tenant Advice

In Victoria, people who rent housing are covered by the law – the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. The Act sets out the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords. It describes what you and the landlord/agent can and can’t do, how to address issues that may arise during the tenancy, and explains what happens if the landlord/agent or tenant breaks the law.

The Act applies to all types of tenants including:

  • Private tenants who rent directly from the landlord or through a real estate agent.
  • Public housing tenants
  • Community housing tenants
  • Tenants of Aborginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Councils
  • Tenants in government employee housing and
  • Tenants in general employee housing

While the Act applies to all residential tenants, some parts of the Act are different for some types of tenants. The Act does not apply to:

  • holiday lettings
  • boarders and lodgers (except for the section about rental bonds)
  • educational institutions (except for employee housing) or
  • retirement villages.

At Ray White Carnegie, we are educated in all of the relevant legislation so you don’t have to worry. We know what is important to landlords and ensure profit protection and communication at a fair price.

We are leaders in the area of Professional Property Management and our profile amongst landlords and tenants is second to none. The Ray White Group have a proven record of success and manage an impressive and growing portfolio of over 200,000 properties each year. Ray White Carnegie aim to exceed expectations in all areas of property management which is why we continue to develop resources and services to ensure our systems, processes and people are the best in the industry.

General Advice 
We want to find you a home. At Ray White Carnegie our dedicated team is focused on finding you a property. All of our properties can be seen on our website.It is essential that each person who wishes to reside in the property complete an application form in full. (See our application form available on our website). Ensure you have included all required documentation and information. Otherwise there could be a delay in processing your application.

Securing your Tenancy 
Once the application has been approved, you will need to come into the office within 24 hours and sign your tenancy agreement as well as pay your first months rent. This money needs to be in cleared funds, so please make your money order or bank cheque out to Ray White Carnegie. Prior to moving in you will be required to pay a full bond of 1 months rent. No bond transfers are accepted by our office.

Electricity, Gas and Telephone 
It is your responsibility to have all services at the property placed in your name and to arrange a final meter reading prior to vacating. Contact numbers for these services are:

  • Optus 133 399
  • Telstra 132 200
  • AGL 131 245
  • Origin Energy 132 461
  • South East Water 131 851

Ray White Carnegie can help arrange for your utility connections free of charge. You can select this option on your application form or please contact our office and we can arrange the connections for you.

Condition Report 
This is a very important form when you are moving into a rental property. It must be filled out by both the tenant and agent to ensure both parties agree to the condition of the property. Please return the completed condition report to us within 3 days of moving in.

Only the people originally included on your application and approved by the owner are allowed to reside at the property permanently. If a new tenant wishes to replace an existing tenant or be added to the lease, they are required to go through the same tenant approval process. Tenancy applications forms are available from our website, please have them fill this out and submit to our office. They are fully subject to the owner’s decision to approve or decline.

Office Hours
Our office is open weekdays 9.00am – 5.30pm, Saturdays 9.00am – 1.00pm. Should you wish to see your property manager, please contact our office to make an appointment time that is suitable for both parties on 9571 6777

Paying rent 
We have a few options to pay rent, however we do not accept cash at our office for security reasons. The main method is via the Ray White Payment Gateway which allows you to pay via internet, phone, automatic payment, BPay, and over the counter at Australia Post outlets. Fees apply, and you will discuss all options when signing your tenancy agreement with your property manager. If you are paying by cheque or postal money order, please write your name and address on the back of the cheque. Rent is payable in advance and should reach our office on or before the due date.

Calculating rent – How to Calculate Monthly Rent? 

Taking $300 per week:

  1. $300/7 days = $42.86 per day
  2. $42.86 x 365 days (per year) = $15,644 (rounded up to the nearest round figure)
  3. $15,644 per year / 12 months = $1304 per calendar month

Should you be unsure about the calculations feel free to ask your leasing consultant or property manager for further clarifications.

Repairs and requests
We ask that you report any matters requiring repairs or requests immediately to avoid the risk of injury to visitors or damage to the rented property. Notification of any maintenance needs to be in writing. Any maintenance problem arranged by the tenant outside our normal business hours will be at the tenant’s cost unless it is proven to be an emergency. Please complete the repair request form found on our website to report a maintenance problem. Maintenance request can also be completed through the Maintenance Manager Portal. The Maintenance Manager App can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play. For more information on Maintenance Manager you can visit

Contents Insurance 
Please be aware that the landlords property insurance does not cover your personal belongings and it is in your interest to obtain contents insurance in case of damage or theft. Please speak to your Property Manager for further information or email us at

Paintwork on walls
The tenant agrees that no nails, screws, hooks, blue tack, sticky tape or tacks are to be fixed to the walls without the written permission of the Agent. It is our experience that when these are removed, paint and plaster damage occurs and the tenant will be held responsible.

Unless a pet is specifically approved on your lease, pets will not be allowed at the property without prior approval. Please note that in the majority of unit complexes the Body Corporate do not allow pets.

As stated in your Tenancy Agreement, you are responsible for the lawns and gardens unless specified beforehand. This means watering, weeding, trimming and mowing. Seek advice from your property manager before removing any plants or pruning large bushes/trees, and take note of relevant water restrictions. We are happy to recommend a garden maintenance tradesperson if you would like to accept responsibility for costs.

Routine Inspections 
We carry out routine inspections on all our properties. The first inspection is conducted at three months and then they will continue every 6 months after that. A letter will be sent to advise you in writing prior to the inspection date. The inspections are always a good opportunity to point out any maintenance problems or other concerns you may have. If you are not present, we will access the property with our spare keys.

Breaking of tenancy agreement 
If circumstances occur where you need to break your tenancy agreement the following conditions will apply:

  • The tenant is responsible for and must pay rent until the property is re-let to a suitable tenant through our normal office procedures for re-letting; or until the end of the tenancy agreement, whichever is the sooner.
    • The tenant must pay for the Pro Rata Letting fee.
    • The tenant must also pay the advertising cost of $350.
  • It is best to upfront with your property manager and give as much notice as possible.

Giving Notice 
The tenant agrees that when giving notice it must be in writing, via email or hand written form delivered to our office.  28 days written notice is required.

Property for sale
If during your tenancy the property goes up for sale, you will be advised accordingly. If you are under a fixed term lease, you remain in the property for the term of the lease. If you are on a periodic tenancy (month to month), the Landlord can give you four (4) weeks’ notice to vacate the property once the property has been sold.

For further advice we recommend contacting the below:

Consumer Affairs Victoria
Phone:1300 55 81 81